Specialist Disability Support Worker
Focal is a well-established provider of disability support services with close to 50 year history. At Focal, we support people of all ages and needs in their homes and the community. Through our person-centred approach, we are building a brighter tomorrow for people with disability throughout South-East Queensland.
For those we support, it's all about building their capacity to exercise freedom, choice and control. We work alongside each participant as advocates - to help them maximise and implement all the supports in their plan including formal, informal, mainstream, community and funded supports.
A rewarding opportunity has now become available for highly motivated and experienced Specialist Disability Support Workers to join our team.
About the Role:
Our client is a lovely young man with an adorable cat who loves gaming, movies, sports on TV and all things tech. Due to muscular dystrophy, he requires a dedicated long-term care team to provide 24/7 supports. Your primary role will be - along with his fantastic team - providing one on one supports, assisting with daily living activities within his home or out in the community. This can include personal care, meal preparation, providing domestic assistance, community access and other aspects of daily living.
If you have an empathetic, patient disposition and a positive, can-do attitude and genuine interest in enabling capacity building then this role could be a good match for you.
- Minimum 2 years demonstrated experience working with clients with physical disabilities
- Extensive experience in hoisting and bowel therapy
- Must be able to fulfill all the physical demands of the role such as lifting up to 20kgs and operating an electric wheelchair
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a friendly and switched-on team
- Proactive with strong problem-solving skills
- Empathy, patience and compassion towards people with disabilities
- Derives genuine satisfaction from enabling capacity building
- Implement individualized care plans and advocating for our client.
- Assist with personal hygiene tasks such as bathing, grooming and toileting.
- Provide assistance with meal preparation, feeding and medication management.
- Encourage participation in social activities to promote social interaction.
- Accompany clients on outings or appointments as required.
- Actively engage with the client to build their capabilities and accomplish their goals.
- Maintain accurate records regarding client's health status.
- Must have Certificate III/IV in Disability Services or equivalent qualifications/experience.
- Prior experience working in disability services.
- Current Queensland C Class driver's license, NDIS Worker Screening Card, Blue Card, First Aid & CPR Certificate are mandatory.
The position is remunerated in line with the Social Community, Home Care and Disability Award with classification based on experience and suitability.
If successful, applicants will also be required to demonstrate entitlement to work in Australia and to disclose any pre-existing injury or disease which may be adversely affected by undertaking the inherent requirements of the position.
If you are genuinely committed to client advocacy and providing the highest quality of support services to people with disability, we would love to hear from you.