Focal Community Services Inc is committed to ensuring individuals personal and sensitive information is managed safely in line with relevant legislation. This statement outlines what you can expect of Focal when personal information is collected, held and used.
Personal information collected by Focal is protected by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the ‘Privacy Act’). Personal information is any information that can be used to identify an individual and includes sensitive health information.
Focal follows the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act in handling personal information from clients / beneficiaries, business partners, donors, members of the public and people associated with Focal (including members, volunteers, employees, delegates, candidates for volunteer work and prospective employees).
The primary purpose for collecting personal information from individuals is to provide disability services and programs to people including planning, funding, monitoring and evaluating our services. The kind of personal information we collect will depend on the individual’s relationship with Focal (e.g. as a participant, donor, business partner, employee, volunteer or member).
Focal usually collects personal information directly from individuals. However, we sometimes collect personal information from a third party such as a carer, trustee or authorised representative or from a publicly available source, but only if:
- Individuals have consented to such collection or would reasonably expect Focal to collect their personal information in this way; or
- It is necessary for a specific purpose.
Focal will only collect personal information for purposes that are reasonably necessary for one or more of our functions or activities.
Individual’s person information may be used to:
- Provide individuals with supports and services;
- Provide individuals with relevant educational information and resources;
- Report to government or other funding bodies as to how the funding is used;
- Process individuals with relevant educational information and resources;
- Process individuals donation or purchase and provide receipts;
- Communicate with individuals about how a person’s donation is used or about Focal services, causes, events, products and services, which Focal believes may be of interest to individuals;
- Respond to individuals feedback or complaints
- Answer personal queries.
It may also be used for:
- Any other purpose for which it was requested and which the individual was advised of; and
- Directly related purposes.
Please be assured that wherever possible Focal uses information in a de-identified form. Personal information will not be disclosed to third parties without individual’s permission, except where permitted or required under the Privacy Act.
Focal actively takes steps to protect all personal, sensitive and health information and government related identifiers held by the organisation against misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
If individuals are listed on one or more of our mailing or e-mail lists they can unsubscribe and opt out at any time by contacting / e-mailing the sender requesting their name be removed from the mail or e-mail listing.